Name tray 15 - 22 letters
Name tray 8 - 14 letters
Name tray up to 7 letters
| miniature courses
NEW COURSES FROM MASTERBUILDER MINIATURES
NEXT COURSE DATES
In addition to our well known skills based courses we shall also be adding project based courses, including 1/12th and 1/24th furniture, room boxes, shops, houses, gardens and conservatories in various periods including Tudor, Georgian, Victorian and Art Deco.
We shall also be running open classes where you can come along with any kit, house or project that you might need a little help with, or just an excuse to sit down and get it finished! We are also linking up with Sid Cooke dolls houses to offer a course to assemble their kits, so if you already own one or would like us to supply one to assemble in our fully equipped workshops please contact us for details.
Courses are in a modular format so you can come for one or more days, weekends or midweek to suit yourself. Special rates are available to groups and clubs.
We are also increasing our bed and breakfast availability, so you will be able to stay with us if you wish and enjoy a drink or meal in the evening amongst new found miniaturist friends, alternatively there are local inns, hotels and caravan sites. Partners not wishing to do a course can also stay and visit the many attractions locally.
Masterbuilder Miniatures courses and Mini-breaks
If you are interested in specific courses please list as many alternative dates from the list below as possible so we can group these together.
If minimum numbers are not met we reserve the right to cancel or postpone courses and refund your deposit.
Courses cost £75.00 per day which includes all materials and a light lunch, special project mini-breaks are priced individually.
Yvonne and Robert look forward to seeing you at our workshops in Oxford soon.
Dates will be announced soon, please check the news page on our website (www.longstaff.co.uk) or telephone for details, or you can pre-book by emailing email@example.com and giving a choice of dates and courses that you are interested in.
We offer a one day course with a maximum of 12 participants or a Masterclass with a maximum of 6. You can come for a single day course or link a number of successive days, for example course 5 (introduction to miniature woodwork) followed by course 6 (basic furniture making), or 2 days of course 6 to enable more techniques to be gained. Alternatively you might wish to book 2 days of course 1 (room box) to ensure the project is finished.
Arrival is from 9.30 am for refreshments and a chance to browse the shop before a prompt 10.00 am start. Refreshments and a light lunch are included and the workshops close at 5.00. All courses are suitable for both novice and more advances miniaturist but there will be more individual time with the tutor on the Masterclass.
Although each course has a predetermined structure there will be enough flexibility to cover items of specific interest to you.
I suggest you bring an apron, overalls etc., and any tools or components of your own which you would like to use.
The one day course costs £50.00 or £75.00 for a Masterclass and includes use of tools, facilities and materials (for some courses, such as room boxes an additional charge will be made for extra windows, doors etc. if used or they can be brought with you).
The woodturning course is priced separately.
Booking: a non returnable deposit of £25.00 is required on booking, the balance due 2 weeks before the course date.
For those of you who would like accommodation we can arrange local B&B, a 14th century Inn, a modern hotel or a caravan park all within a few miles. We will also increasing our bed and breakfast availability, so you will be able to stay with us if you wish and enjoy a drink or meal in the evening amongst new found miniaturist friends.
For those of you without transport we can arrange pickups from Didcot Parkway or Oxford train stations or Oxford bus / coach terminal.
Other courses and dates are being planned, please contact us for further details.
If there is a topic you would like to see added to the list, please let us know.
Skills based and general courses~
1) Room boxes: Create a room or a shop in one of a number of period styles. You can expect to finish the basic box, design and add interior features, windows etc. and plan for fittings and decoration in one day. MASTERCLASS ONLY.
2) Internal decoration: A general course covering floor styles; making earth, tiled and wooden floors; use of tiles, carpets and self adhesive finishes; wallpapering, special painting effects such as stenciling, ragging and sponging; staining and varnishing. Also an introduction to second fittings such as skirting, architrave, dado and picture rails and electrification.
3) Internal finishing: similar to the above, but specifically dealing with a house or room of your own in more detail. You would normally be expected to bring your own materials, room box or dolls house.
4) External finishing: A general course covering painting, stone and brick cladding, cladding types, roof coverings, gardens, courtyard and external features.
5) Introduction to miniature woodworking: You will be invited to bring along your own tools, if you have them, we will then discuss basic tools, how to sharpen, use and look after them; how to make constructional aids, use of clamps etc. timber types, and how best to use materials; basic preparation; joints, how to make them and when to use them; we would expect to cut mitre and butt joints to make a simple project piece, and hope to go on to half lap and tenon joints etc.
6) Basic furniture making: following on from 5), to make a complete project piece, which can either be pre-booked or decided upon on the day. Most projects should be finished within the day, allowing time to cover finishing techniques, staining and polishing. Numerous projects are available, making repeat courses possible.
7) Advanced furniture making: for previous participants of course 5 or 6. You may choose from several project pieces available or bring your own design, and will be expected to use previously gained skills to work largely on your own initiative. MASTERCLASS ONLY.
8) Kit completion: we will use the day to make up items from our Masterbuilder range of kits and look at customising, finishing, painting, polishing etc. as relevant to the specific kit chosen.
9) Wood turning: a maximum of 4 students per course, covering various aspects of turning with particular emphasis on producing miniature items.Course fee: for 2 students only, £225.00 each, for 4 students £125.00 each.
Project based courses~
to be announced.
Please e-mail or phone for available times and any additional information needed
UPDATED April 2009
current dates available - please phone or e-mail for conformation
| miniature courses